Monday, January 30, 2012

What constitutes a reliable source of information?

I'm curious how all you folks in the dog section judge the information you receive (both here and elsewhere).



I see it time and time again, I see information repeated, which I *know* to be false. Or then I see "Best Answers" chosen with wrong information in them.



So, how in this day and age, do you judge the quality of the information you're receiving?



How often its repeated? How confidently its said? How sensational? How conspiracy oriented it seems?What constitutes a reliable source of information?Almost nothing on the Internet can be considered "reliable information,' since anyone can publish anything. There certainly is some good stuff out there, but in a situation where accuracy is important I always try to confirm it elsewhere.



This site tends to have a lot of misinformation, so you have to be very careful what you believe. This isn't a good place to look for anything crucial. It's fine to ask for opinions or basic info, but I would never use Yahoo for legal or medical advice, for example.



I hate seeing wrong answers too, and it's even worse when the best answer is wrong. None of the criteria you suggested work; I've seen lots of sensationally bad information repeated confidently, but that doesn't make it true. (Hybrid vigor, for example.)What constitutes a reliable source of information?
No one on here........not even myself.What constitutes a reliable source of information?I've seen very little *real* info.here.

That that I do,99.999999% of the time I know who's saying it.



Lies are repeated here hourly...every other minute. The "dog-years" myth %26amp; the "adopt" propaganda=lie come to mind. People don't really want the truth;they just want their foolishness reinforced.What constitutes a reliable source of information?
Good question. I often wonder the same.



I don't really ask questions here, I usually ask opinions. I am going to find my information out somewhere more reliable. But I have asked opinions on avoiding bloat, etc. I already know what I do and what I think, just looking for different perspectives. If I find an interesting different one, I will research into it more.



With opinions, there is no right or wrong, it is agree or disagree (I don't td opinions either)

The biggest thing I look for is sources. You should be able to back up what ever you say. Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

I have been around long enough to know who gives good answers and who doesn't, TC badge or not.

Grammer, spelling and punctuation are also a big one in my book , but apparently not in alot of others. It doesn't have to be perfect. I am not talking little typos, but if you can't spell the breed name, how can you be an expert on it. I can't read the text speak, guess I am too old.



I do not pay attention to how often it is repeated. Have you ever read answers to "do dogs have periods?" There are at least 20 saying yes, and may be 3 with the correct answer. Or "are dogs colorblind" or "how old is my dog".



I also don't put much faith in TDs or TUs.



Just the facts is so right. Most of the time people just want reinforcement. Like the "designer dog" or breeding questions. There will be 15 well written, educated, sourced answers against it and one (usually by our resident troll) that is for it and they select that as best answer.What constitutes a reliable source of information?Most people judge good answers by

whether or not they agree with it or

whether or not it's what they want to hear.





The information that I consider good comes from answerers with good grammar, good sources, and the answer must make sense.
Most information is verifiable with a little research on the web. Repetition or being a gifted writer doesn't constitute reliability. A reliable source is one who consistently gives advice/information that 'checks out' and/or works when put into practice.What constitutes a reliable source of information?
I have found though that there is a definite correlation between the years of practical experience a contributor has in their chosen area of expertise %26amp; the depth, of knowledge they can bring to bear when answering a question.



I know who I would turn to if I had a question about terriers, showing dogs %26amp; professional dog training.



The majority of the advice given would not be what I would call a reliable primary source %26amp; would be if anything a very secondary source of information.
I judge mostly by how much experiece a person has *in dogs*, as a *whole*. Some people know more about certain breeds than others, because they have more experience with that breed. Others have decades of knowlege and could answer medical questions almost as good, if not better, than any Vet I know, regardless of the breed. This is the WWW, and for the most part, many people here think that everyone is their friend, just because they are email buddies or within the same age group, whatever that age group may be. I doubt that there are many people that are regulars have actually met anyone else, in the flesh, or actually even spoke to to them on the phone. I myself, HAVE been fortunate enough to meet one of our regulars, and do speak to them on a regular basis. This person, now, has become 1 out of 2 of *my* most respected *dog* people in my life, and well respected in general, as well. (and it all started here on YA by pure accident)....Hope this person reads this, as they WILL know I am talking about them!What constitutes a reliable source of information?
Research, research.



If you think it is false, then research and make sure it right...
Firstly if it is a checkable answer- and I only needed the inspiration to go down that path of investigation- then I can verify things whichever way.

secondly, after hearing of men that can use the net to groom young girls- I don't really trust anything AND NEITHER SHOULD ANYONE ELSE! This site should be used merely as a brick wall to bounce your own ideas off or as a pool for inspiration where YOU make any decision- NOT the people answering questions- they may help you in a small way but THE DCISIONS ARE ALWAYS YOURS!

Thirdly No matter how honest I can be with the answers I give- my own suspicious nature tells me that some people don't ask questions with sincerity and may be just trying to have a little fun at the answerers expense.



When searching for answers to Important questions of health matters or about others etc- I look at all the answers and form my own conclusion- opinions are not accepted - only answers with education or experience.



When I ask an opinion - I get back loads which are normally pretty accurate- you can actually feel the rage from this side.
Simple. I see what credentials that source has to back it up. A peer reviewed scientific journal is more trustworthy than biased information from a pressure group. That's not to say that all pressure groups always lie - just that any information from a biased source (and bear in mind we all have *some* preconceptions) should be treated with caution.



Some of the stuff that's most often repeated is nonsense.



I've heard people speak confidently about subjects they know nothing about.



Sensational? It might be more likely to grab my attention, but it's no more trustworthy.



Conspiracy oriented? If anything, I'm likely to ignore it.



This site is a good place to find out peoples' opinions. If those opinions are based on propaganda they'll hold less water than if they've been given some consideration.



The information received on here is, at best a good starting point for further research. Even the most knowledgeable people on here are sometimes wrong.
Reliable information is information that can be proven and

has backing from sources proven to be accurate. On here

it seems to be what is the most popular answer whether it

is true or not. I would do my own research on reliable web

sites to find the answers I am looking for.
the best source of knowledge comes from within. experiences

a peace of advice come free what the person do with it is up to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment